Skip to content
October 26, 2008 / Ben Chun

More on WPMU Performance

Well, my last set of attempts didn’t solve our problems, so I’m taking more drastic measures. One step is to rename the following files (I like to append .turned_off to the filenames):

wp-comment-post.php
wp-trackback.php
xmlrpc.php

The theory is that spam bots and other auto-posting scripts are hammering these and bringing up the load. I didn’t check the logs to validate this theory, but it is something that I had done on our previous installation so there’s no harm in doing it again. We’re using WPMU more like a CMS and less like a blogging platform, and we don’t even have support for the display of comments in our theme — no need to leave the supporting files accessible.

The other major thing I’m trying is WP Super Cache. The only problem I found was that updates to the widgets did not clear the cache. Since a large part of the way we let teachers customize their pages is via widgets, this would obviously not work. I did some digging and found a solution and posted about it on the WordPress MU forums.

My next step is going to be investigating the Amazon S3 plugin to see if I can generalize it such that we can store some of our files on another server. (For us, this is more related to upload disk space than server load.)

About these ads

3 Comments

Leave a Comment
  1. Elad Salomons / Oct 26 2008 1:24 pm

    Hi,
    Thank you for updating my solution for the cache issue.
    As for S3, check out my plugin for offloading theme files to Amazon S3.

  2. Ben Chun / Nov 9 2008 10:16 am

    The thing that actually fixed our performance problems was setting a MaxRequestsPerChild in Apache’s mpm.conf — which is really just a hack that restarts each child process after serving a certain number of requests. We have it set at 1000 right now, and it solved our problems.

    This means that somewhere WordPress is either leaking memory or hanging or holding a database connection open or… I don’t know. It doesn’t make much sense. I suppose PHP or MySQL could also be at fault, but we didn’t see these problems until after upgrading from WPMU 1.3 to 2.6 so that’s at least part of the issue. It could just be that there’s code now that exercises parts of PHP or MySQL that were not previously used, and they are leaking or otherwise at fault.

  3. Kyle Hailey / Mar 27 2012 9:37 am

    Thanks Ben – that cache pluggin helped on my site where other cache pluggins weren’t as effective (PS if anyone uses SBS Blogroll it seems to slow down my site quite a bit)

    – Kyle

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: